Thursday, January 12, 2023

1844 German Anatomy Book

As I was perusing a local auction site, I found an 1844 German anatomy book that looked like it would be selling for a song. I put in a bid and basically forgot about it until I got an invoice from the auction house. 

The book wasn't in great condition, sadly, but I thought that it might be good for framed prints. The prints are all engraved and some are hand-colored. 

It turns out I have a small connection with this book, as it came from the extensive collection of Dr. Henry Wilson, a local ophthalmologist and noted bibliophile.

I grew up with his children and spent a lot of time at their house. Dr. Wilson and my father were both book collectors and had numerous conversations about their collections. 

Because the book is written in German, I haven't been able to read through it, but the illustrations speak for themselves. 

We are excited to add another book to our collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment