Thursday, January 5, 2023

Another Bookplate

You might remember that we have a significant collection of bookplates here at MedChi. They were originally acquired when we established the Osler Testimonial Fund

and physicians from across the United States requested copies of the OTF bookplate from Marcia. In return, she asked that they send her copies of their plates. You can see a number of posts about them here

As I was going through the 55 boxes of ephemera and books which we recently acquired, I found an interesting plate. 

The verse talks about the Kobold and the Cat, and I had never heard of a Kobold before. I headed to the Google and found this: A kobold is a mythical sprite. Having spread into Europe with various spellings including "goblin" and "hobgoblin", and later taking root and stemming from Germanic mythology, the concept survived into modern times in German folklore. 

I am not quite certain how you get goblin from kobold, but nevertheless, it makes the rhyme! I also need to hunt up Frank Baker and see who he is. Here's hoping that there are no kobold in your book collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment