Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Upton Scott's House

I bought a book for a friend for Christmas entitled Colonial Mansions of Maryland & Delaware. The book was written by John Martin Hammond and published as a limited edition in 1914. There are 64 black-and-white photographs which illustrate the book.

Before I gave the book to my friend, I took scans of the pages pertaining to the Scott House, originally home to the Medical & Chirurgical Faculty's first president, Upton Scott. 

As I was searching for the publication information for this book, I found that the Hathi Trust has scanned the book and it's available in its entirety on-line. The link is here.

Here are the few pages about Scott House.



There were two images of the house, one of the front, and one of the main hallway. 
The house was designed by William Buckland, and still stands along the edge of Spa Creek in Annapolis. We also wrote about it here

1 comment:

  1. Hello Meg, The Scott house is very handsome in its proportions and detail. I love those local architecture books from the early 20th century. Unfortunately, usually only Colonial buildings were eligible; we need to extend the idea to later houses. Many current books are mostly eye-candy and don't include dimensions and floor-plans.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete