Friday, June 16, 2023

More Mencken

You may remember that a few months ago, I found a cache of letters from the noted writer, H.L. Mencken to Max Brödel, the first non-physician member of MedChi. You can read the letters here.

While I was poking around today, I found another Mencken-related piece. Dr. John Ruhräh was a long-time member of MedChi and very active in the organization. 

What I found was a book of Mencken's quotes personally inscribed to Dr. Ruhräh, with Dr. Ruhräh's bookplate, illustrated by Max Brödel, on the front cover. 

I love how this one little book is emblamatic of our town, Smalltimore!   

I did authenticate the Mencken signature by comparing it to other signatures, including one on a letter we have here from Mencken to Marcia Noyes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment