Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Another Fun Find

As I have mentioned several times, I am an auction aficionado, and when I spotted this fun early 19th century framed cartoon for my favorite price (insultingly low!), I snatched it up to hang in the office. 

The engraving is called "The Headache" and it was done by George Cruikshank, a noted 19th century illustrator and cartoonist. He illustrated everything from books by Charles Dickens, including Oliver Twist to advertisements and political cartoons. Cruikshank and Dickens were close friends for a long time, but fell out over Cruikshank's conversion to militant teetotaler and his accusation that Dickens had stolen the idea for Oliver Twist from him.

Cruikshank's illustrations are extremely detailed, as you can see above. The more you look, the more you see. Notice the little monkey? Devil? Imp? sitting on the man's shoulder holding a music book and singing into his ear. Just the thing, if  you have a headache.

Many of Cruikshank's illustrations are still used, such as this protest poster about the rise in the prices at the shops in Covent Garden. 

It seems that Cruikshank had a little cypher that he used on some of his works. It looks like a G with an anchor. 
After his name, you will see the letters FEC'T, which is shortened from the Latin, fecit, which means "he/she made it."

At the bottom of the print, you can see the name of the publisher, Thos. McLean, 26 Haymarket. Aug. 1st  1835. 

I was trying to figure out whether the date is 1835 or 1895, but in doing some research, I think that it's 1835. 

Either way, it's a fun print to add to our collection for a small sum!


P.S. After I posted this, a friend sent me one of Cruikshank's wonderful drawings. So clever!

No comments:

Post a Comment