Monday, January 28, 2019

Tie One On


One of our recent posts for "Throw-Back Thursday" was a guide to ties and cravats, many of which we've seen on our portraits. 

We can make a timeline of our portraits by using the various styles of neck-wear through the ages. The older portraits have much more elaborate cravats than do the more contemporary portraits. 

Here are some of the more flamboyant gentlemen in our collection. Please click the link to find our more about the portrait.







Rembrandt Peale, an early Baltimore painter, who did the portraits of Harris and Hayden, was a master at painting these cravats. You can see the sheerness of the cloth, as well as every crimp and fold. 

To read a piece I wrote about the various styles of facial hair on our portraits, please click here

2 comments:

  1. Hello Meg, I have seen instructions for tying various tie knots, but they all seem very complicated to me, so perhaps it is just as well that I did not live in Beau Brummel days. The tie-knot I use I learned as a child and do it automatically, but I don't think that I could explain to another person how to do it! That must be the one area of dress that is more complicated for men than for women!
    --Jim
    p.s. I see all the time (and you must also) the collar boxes that contained the men's collars that made some of these ties possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just at an auction where they had a number of beautiful celluloid collar boxes. I managed to resist, but they were fabulous. And I can barely loop a scarf without looking pitiful, so these would be beyond any ability of mine!

      Delete