Monday, November 25, 2013

Medical Journal Advertisements

We have years of Medical Journals from the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. Many states, including Maryland, have their own medical journals that are published several times a year. Clearly, there were no guidelines for what could be advertised in these journals, and some of the ads I’ve found are quite funny!

This one says that it will help people with syphilis gain weight through this fish extract!fish

Port wine and olive oil? It’s a remedy for lack of iron!deweys

I am not completely sure what this is an ad for…kalmerid

Figs and chocolate! It’s a laxative. Not too appealing.figulax

Heroin will knock that cold right out of you!terp heroin

These are endlessly funny and I’ve only looked at one or two journals and one year!

2 comments:

  1. "Fic-u-lax" sounds like something I shouldn't say to my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg,
    Congratulations on your new blog! I don't have any particular interest in Medical Association history but I love history in general and your writing in particular. Also, I find that if you find something interesting, I will too. I am looking forward to reading along! As always, thank you of the work that you put into these posts and those over at Pigtown. The post on the book plates was one of my favorites ever! I loved the different fonts and designs used.

    ReplyDelete