In the 1970's, MedChi acquired the former School #49 from the city of Baltimore. From 1909, when the city acquired what was the Marston's University School, until 1960, when the last class of "49ers" graduated, School 49 had a stellar reputation in Baltimore.
Students in their final year of elementary school were selected to attend School 49, which was an accelerated junior high school, where three years of school were compressed into two years.
For more information and articles about the school and its history, please click the links below.
- The School #49 Mini-Reunion, held in September of 2018.
- An article by R.P. Harriss, whose wife was on the faculty of the school.
- An architectural review of the School 49 building.
- More architectural history of School 49.
- Details of the architecture.
- A brief history of School 49
- The 1980's Reunion Memory Book for School 49.