Thursday, February 1, 2018

George H. Rohé in Bronze

One of my current projects is cataloging the bronzes in our collection. There are several scattered around the buildings, including the two of Sir William Osler, MD, which are in Osler Hall. 
Today, I received a phone call from someone who had seen my name listed as the "in-house" historian, and she asked if I knew about a bas relief that had been at our Eutaw Street location, also known as Hamilton Terrace. 

First, I was pretty sure I'd never heard it called Hamilton Terrace, but when I checked the Medical Annals (1899), the HQ location was referred to by both names, sometimes at the same time. 

Second, when I was thinking of a bas relief, my thoughts immediately went to something like this. 

It wasn't until the end of the conversation, that she mentioned it was a bronze. At that point, I knew exactly where it was. I ran downstairs and took some pictures of Dr. George H. Rohé (1851-1899). He was president of MedChi in 1893-94, amongst many other accomplishments.

The bronze is by local sculptor, Ephriam Keyser, who was a contemporary of Dr. Rohé. 

It is signed at the bottom: E. Keyser Fec 1901. Fec is short for fecit, which means "made by", and is often found on works of art. 

Stay tuned for posts about the other bronzes!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Meg, Bronze is such a wonderful material. Even more precious metals don't always possess its richness and elegance.

    Rohé is an odd name (at least in America); I'll bet that he had to undergo a lot of Roué jokes.

    --Jim

    ReplyDelete