Thursday, March 26, 2020

John T. King, MD

I continue to find new pieces and great stories every time I explore our offices! I was up in Marcia's old apartment with some contractors, and we were moving some things. There, up against the wall was a huge (30x30 inches) bronze in a wooden frame. 
Obviously, I didn't try to bring it back downstairs for study, but snapped some pictures of it to check later. 

Luckily, the name of the sitter is right there and so there was no question as to who it was. John T. King, MD. He's listed in the Centennial book, so that was a start to my research.
Most unfortunately, John King is a pretty common name, and the year King died, another man with the exact same name, had bilked a number of people out of large sums of money, and was on trial. That filled most of the newspapers in the early months of 1924. 

But I kept digging and found King's obituary in December of 1924.
There is no mention of his involvement at MedChi, which must have been significant for him to have been honored with a large bronze plaque.


There are holes in each of the corners of the plaque, which leads me to believe that is had been hanging someplace in the building. We do have a number of other bronzes around the property. And as I mentioned in that post, I figured that there were bronzes that I hadn't found yet... and there were!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Meg, I am sure that Dr. King deserved this accolade in bronze. I hope that those mounting holes were pretty secure--I would not want a 30-inch bronze medallion falling on me!
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete